Wok & roll! Our Beef Brisket Rice Noodles with Baby Gailan in XO Sauce may have pleased our meat-lovers, but we have certainly saved the best for all our vegie-loving friends! Dried bean curd is a truly a wok star ingredient in any vegetarian/vegan stir-fry. It’s a wonderful source of protein and other essential nutrients, has a soft and slightly chewy texture, and absorbs the aroma and taste of the sauce it is cooked in. They can easily be found in your local Asian grocer and normally come in sticks or thin flat sheets. This recipe also throws in water chestnuts, which complements the bean curd with its crunchy texture and a touch of sweetness, and some tender spinach, which adds colour, texture, flavour and extra nutrition to the dish.
Stir-fried bean curd, spinach and water chestnut
- 150 gram dried bean curd (flat sheets are used in this recipe)
- 2 cups spinach, trimmed
- 1 cup water chestnut (normally found in cans at Asian grocers)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce or 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (you can leave this out if you don’t want any spiciness)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornflour (divided)
- White sesame seeds to serve
- Soak the bean curd in warm water for around 2 minutes until it softens. Take out and set aside on a paper towel to absorb any excess water.
- Marinate the bean curd with the Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and 1 tsp cornflour – preferably for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare a small bowl of oyster sauce, chilli sauce, sugar, sesame oil and remaining tsp cornflour. Mix the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the wok and stir-fry the bean curd for 2 minutes on high heat. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add the garlic and ginger and water chestnuts to the wok and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the bean curd to the wok, add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes until spinach softens.
- Pour the bowl of sauce into the wok and stir through the bean curd and vegetables. Allow to bubble and thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add a generous sprinkle of sesame seeds on top, and serve with rice.